- Hold your mail. Those Christmas cards can accumulate quickly, and you don’t want to come home to a heinous mail situation. At USPS.com you can put a mail hold on for a few days or longer so that your postperson doesn’t have to swing by while you’re gone. You can opt to have the whole bundle delivered upon your return or go pick it up at the nearest post office.
- Clean out the fridge. No one wants to come back to a refrigerator full of spoiled food. In the week leading up to your travel, eat what you can and before you head out of your Gowanus apartment be sure to toss anything else that won’t keep.
- This is one thing many people forget to do before traveling, but unplugging your appliances doesn’t only promote safety it can actually save a little cash, too. There’s no need for electronics to remain plugged in when you’re not using them.
- Let someone know. Alerting neighbors or your landlord of your travel will keep them on alert to any suspicious activity at your Gowanus apartment. Though it’s not a surefire method to thwarting any trouble, it does provide peace of mind.
- This might seem like something you’d leave for when you return, but if you clean your Brooklyn apartment before you leave for holiday travel you’ll have less to worry about when you get back! Do the standard weekly chores and tidy up a bit before you depart. It’ll make coming back from all the holiday hubbub a little bit easier and you’ll be able to organize your haul more efficiently.
By taking care of just a few things before you head home to enjoy time with family, you can make sure your Gowanus apartment will be a stress-free place to return to. Happy holidays!